Well, it’s been the worst kept secret in the gaming industry for almost two years now but the remaster of Bioware’s classic Mass Effect trilogy finally has a release date – May 14th 2021.
Surprisingly the studio didn’t confirm this back on N7 day (November 7th) as is typical of the studio to do when it comes to Mass Effect news but considering it’s been almost a decade since Mass Effect 3’s release, perhaps Bioware are looking to mix things up. Anyone who played the spin-off Andromeda will certainly have no complaints in that regard!
You can take a look at the new trailer below.
Here are some highlights for the new release:
- The Mass Effect Legendary Edition will feature all three single-player story campaigns plus 40 other pieces of DLC, weapon and armour packs.
- The trilogy will now run in 4K Ultra HD with HDR.
- The Legendary Edition overhauls the original trilogy’s graphics with remastered character models, tens of thousands of up-ressed textures, improvements to shaders and VFX, updated lighting and shadows, volumetrics and depth-of-field.
- Character creation will be unified across all three games, including the ability to make your OG Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 character look like Fem-Shep from the third game.
- Interfaces and UI have been updated and modernized.
- Various quality-of-life improvements and gameplay improvements including better-aiming mechanics.
Nothing too surprising, other than the lack of a native next-gen version of the titles although there’s potential for one down the line. So what’s your verdict, will you be stepping back onto the Normandy this year? If so which companion are you most excited to team up with?